There are so many ways we can get it wrong with makeup. It’s the one thing us ladies are supposed to know without ever being taught. Most of us are just winging it and unfortunately that leads to mistakes. Lots of them. Here are my top 6 makeup mistakes along with some solutions.
1. Wrong colour foundation. This is number 1 for a reason. So many people get this wrong. Two ways- too light and too dark. The tide mark you get from foundation that is too dark is a horror show. Solution- match you base to your chest. Yes, it’s likely to be darker than your face but at least you’ll be one colour.
2. Reverse Raccoon This is a shocker and one we can blame on the celebs (nice to blame them for something) Your concealer does not need to be 3 shades lighter than your foundation. Unless you want to look like you’ve spent a week on the slopes, avoid a lighter concealer under the eyes. Solution. Match your concealer to your foundation and if you do like the light look, blend, blend, blend.
3. Stripy Blush. You can read all about the correct application of blush here. Blush should go somewhere between the apples of your cheeks and your cheekbones. Solution : Add your contour colour under your cheekbones. Not your blush.
4. Thin brows- This just makes my want to scream. Your brows are there for a reason and over plucking makes you look, well, over plucked. You need your brows to balance out your face. If you have curves, don’t pluck your brows in the hopes it will make you look thinner. It wont. Solution. Grow them out and see a professional.
5. Shimmer overload- Yes shimmer is pretty. Shimmer is all fairy like and lovely but you need to lay off your shimmer addiction. Shimmer is OK in moderation but please, I’m begging you, don’t apply silver shimmer to your brow bone. This look is a throwback from a decade ago and it’s not flattering. Solution: ditch the loose dust on the brow bone and instead apply a small amount of metallic colour to the inner corner of the lid.
6. Too much makeup. If you like a stick foundation with a liquid over the top and then a powder foundation, you have a problem. Add to this black eyeliner, 10 coats of mascara and fuchsia glossy lips and you’re a step away from porn star. Solution. Pick a feature you love and enhance it. Makeup was never meant to be a mask
There are loads more makeup mistakes out there. What are some of your pet hates?